The State of Kentucky may issue restricted driving privileges to a driver who has been revoked due to an alcohol-related DUI. The driver must first apply with the convicting court and be ordered to participate. The driver will then submit an Ignition Interlock Application and a non-refundable application fee of $105.00 to the Kentucky Division of Driver License. 


For a complete step-by-step guide for the Ignition Interlock License and Device Applicant Process, please click here.  

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Am I eligible for an Ignition Interlock Device?

A: Eligibility is based on activity in your five (5) year driver history record. If you would like to review your record prior to submitting an application, three (3) year records are available online at DHR Online. Five (5) year records are available at the Central Office in Frankfort and district field offices throughout the state. Field office locations and contact information are available at . You may not be eligible for an Ignition Interlock license if any of the following convictions appear on your driver history record pursuant to KRS 186.560:

  • Murder or manslaughter from the operation of a vehicle;
  • DUI with something other than a motor vehicle;
  • Perjury involving the registration or regulation of vehicle;
  • Felony in which the motor vehicle is used;
  • Conviction of three (3)charges of reckless driving within a twelve (12) month period;
  • Conviction of a hit and run;
  • Conviction of theft of a motor vehicle or parts (also includes under 18 years of age);
  • No proof of insurance, upon conviction of second and subsequent offense;
  • Conviction for fraudulent use of a driver license to (attempt) purchase of alcoholic beverages;
  • Conviction of operating a motor vehicle, motor cycle or moped without an operator’s license; or
  • Being found incompetent to stand trial pursuant to KRS Chapter 504.
The following conditions or events may also render you ineligible for an Ignition Interlock license or subject to revocation of an existing Ignition Interlock License pursuant to KRS 186.570:
  • Committing of an offense under KRS 186.560;
  • Mandatory license revocation due to a finding of the medical review board (MRB);
  • Causing or contributing to, by reckless or unlawful operation of a motor vehicle, an accident resulting in death, injury, or property damage;
  • Mental or physical disability, including seizures (MRB);
  • Habitual reckless or negligent driving (KRS 13B);
  • Obtaining a license without submitting a proper application;
  • Presenting false or misleading information regarding residency, citizenship, religious convictions, immigration status;
  • Failure to take and pass an examination required by KRS 186.480 (KSP examination);
  • Conviction of assault and battery resulting from the operation of a motor vehicle;
  • Failure to appear in response to a summons or citation issued by a law enforcement officer;
  • Failure to appear pursuant to an order of the court to demonstrate proof of security (insurance);
  • Failure to provide proof of insurance, upon three (3) or more convictions within a five (5) year period;
  • Child support arrearage of six (6) months or more pursuant to KRS 205.712;
  • Failure to respond to a subpoena or warrant relating to child support or paternity;
  • Ineligibility to operate a vehicle pursuant to KRS 532.536;
  • Ordered to pay reimbursement for incarceration, restitution or unpaid judgments pursuant to KRS 532.356;
  • Taxpayer delinquency, upon written notification from Revenue; or
  • Conviction in any other state of an offense that would be grounds for suspension or revocation in this state, except speeding offenses – unless they hold a CDL and unless the conviction is more than five (5) years old, excluding felony traffic offenses or habitual violator offenses.

Q: Who do I contact if I see a discrepancy on my driving record?

A:  Contact Court Records at 502-564-1257.

Q: What fees are associated with obtaining and using an Ignition Interlock device?

A:  A non-refundable application processing fee of $105.00 will be paid to the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet with the completed application. The application processing fee is due in full, regardless of indigency status. Device and service fees are paid directly to the device or service provider in accordance with a contract between the device provider and user of the device. Costs may include, but are not limited to:

  • Initial device installation fee;
  • Monthly monitoring and calibration fee; and
  • Device removal Fee.

Q: How do I apply?

A: You must have a court order to apply for an ignition interlock device and license. The court order should be submitted to a regional field office or the One Stop Shop with the Ignition Interlock Application. You can access the application here.
The medical form can be found here.
The following items must be submitted to the transportation cabinet with a completed application:

  • $105.00 non-refundable application processing fee;
  • Court order authorizing application; and
  • Proof of insurance and valid vehicle registration

If you do not own the vehicle you plan to install the Ignition Interlock device into, a written notarized statement from the vehicle’s owner will be required at the time of installation of the device.

Q: How do I get a device installed?

A: The certified providers are listed below. Your selected provider will direct you to a location and technician to have your device installed.

Q: Do I have to install a device on every vehicle I own?

A: You are only required to install a device on your primary vehicle; however you may choose to install devices on additional vehicles. The holder of an Ignition Interlock License is only authorized to drive a vehicle with an ignition interlock device installed.

Q: Can any other individuals drive a vehicle with an ignition interlock device installed?

A: Yes. Anyone can operate a motor vehicle with an Ignition Interlock device installed so long as he or she complies with the device requirements.

Q: Am I eligible for an Ignition Interlock License if I have a CDL?

A: Must comply with federally mandated hard suspension periods for operating with a CDL under the influence of alcohol.

Q: What if I have an emergency and my interlock device prevents me from starting my vehicle?

A: You should never operate a motor vehicle while under the influence of alcohol. In case of an emergency, call 911.

Registered Vendors

Open this link to find a list of vendors in a rotating slideshow

Once you are approved for the Alcohol Test and Lock Program and ignition Interlock device:
  1. You will receive written notifi­cation from the Division of Driver License with an approval number and a list of authorized ignition Interlock device service providers to choose from. You must contact the service provider you choose to schedule an installation appointment. You must have the ignition Interlock device installed within 30 of the court order.
  2. You must be driven to the appointment for the ignition Interlock device installation by a licensed driver.
  3. Vehicles must be manufactured after 1980 and may require an inspection to verify vehicle is equipped with OBD I (On Board Diagnostics Generation 1) in order for the ignition Interlock device installed. Give the ignition Interlock service provider the make/model/year of your vehicle when making the installation appointment.
  4. You will be required to return to the installation center at least every 30-60 days for vehicle monitoring, so data can be downloaded from the device and reported to DMV.
  5. You will be considered in violation of the Interlock Program, and subject to removal from the program, for any program violations which include, but are not limited to:
  6. Failure to report for device monitoring every 30 days, or as scheduled;
  • ​If convicting court receives notice from any law enforcement officer, KYTC employee, or Interlock service provider that indicates you operated a vehicle not equipped with an ignition Interlock device;
  • Failure to abide by the service agreement with the Interlock service provider;
  • If the participant or anyone else, aside from the Interlock service provider, is found tampering with, bypassing, or removing the Interlock device;
  • Attempting to start, or operate, the vehicle while under the influence of alcohol;
  • Failure to submit to and pass any retests prompted by the Interlock device after the vehicle has been started;
  • Failure to use an ignition Interlock equipped vehicle;
  • Accumulation of Interlock Demerit system points in accordance with DMV policy; or
  • if you fail to enroll in, have no progress in, or withdraw yourself from the DUI Safety and Treatment Program.
​ ​​​​​​​