Motorcycles Mopeds


  • To apply for a motorcycle permit, you must be at least 18 or hold a valid operator license. 

  • ​Applicants for a motorcycle license permit who are under 18 years old must have a parent or legal guardian who is willing to assume the responsibility imposed by KRS 186.590 and sign the application for a license. This is true even if the parent or guardian has already signed the application allowing the minor to drive a moped or automobile.​​


A moped is defined as having: "No more than two (2) brake horsepower, a cylinder capacity not exceeding fifty (50) cubic centimeters, an automatic transmission not requiring clutching or shifting by the operator after the drive system is engaged, and capable of a maximum speed of not more than thirty (30) miles per hour." KRS 189.285.​​​ ​If you are not sure about the vehicle, contact your local County Clerk's office​ to find out if the vehicle needs to be licensed.​
Moped licenses are issued at any Driver Licensing Regional Office. You must be at least 16 years ​old and hold a permit to ride a moped in Kentucky.​


  • First-time applicants for a moped license that do not have either an operator or motorcycle permit or license must complete a moped license application.

  • They will only be required to complete the general knowledge and vision tests---neither a skills test nor a permit is required.

  • Upon successful completion of the required tests, a license can be issued. 

  • Applicants who already have any form of valid motor vehicle operator's license or permit (Class D, M, or a CDL) do not have to apply for a moped license. 

  • A driver with a moped license who later requests an operator or motorcycle license must surrender the moped license after obtaining the operator or motorcycle license.

  • Applicants for a moped license who are under 18 years of age must have a parent or legal guardian who is willing to assume responsibility imposed by KRS 186.590 sign the application for a license. If a parent or legal guardian has already signed the application allowing the minor to drive a motorcycle or automobile, they must also sign the application for the moped. ​​


​Motorcycle Safety Education Program 
Jay Huber - Program Administrator
Kentucky Office of Highway Safety
200 Mero St.
Frankfort, KY 40601-2108
(502) 564-1568

The Motorcycle Safety Education Program (MSEP) promotes safety by establishing rider training courses throughout the state. The program increases awareness of motorcyclists' knowledge of the effects of alcohol and drugs, develops driver improvement efforts, conducts program promotion activities, enhances the public's awareness of motorcycles, and promotes motorcycle safety through education. MSEP is operated and maintained by the Kentucky Office of Highway Safety and funded by the Division of Driver Licensing from motorcyclist fees, motorcycle licenses, permits, and registrations. MSEP rider education and training courses follow nationally established guidelines. They are accredited by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF), a national, not-for-profit organization promoting the safety of motorcyclists with programs in rider training, operator licensing, and public information. MSEP is Free to Motorcyclists under the age of 18.

For a list of course descriptions and providers, please visit​ After completing an MSEP course, the motorcycle skills test may be waived per KRS 186.875. Once the driver completes an approved motorcycle safety course, they will need to bring their course completion paperwork to the licensing branch. However, the applicant must have taken the written test and held a motorcycle permit for at least one calendar month before a motorcycle license can be issued.​​