Confident Kentucky 

What do I need to apply?

A license is one of the most common ways you prove who you are. The new issuance system is a reset across the board for identity documents. All first-time applicants requesting any identity credential OR any applicant requesting a Voluntary Travel ID credential will need to present the following:

  1. Proof of identity document (such as a birth certificate, passport, Permanent Resident Card, etc.)
    • One (1) required for both standard credential and Voluntary Travel ID. If you wish to obtain a certified copy of your birth certificate, contact the vital statistics agency in the state of your birth. Those born in Kentucky may contact the Kentucky Office of Vital Statistics.
  2. Proof of Social Security number (such as Social Security card, W-2 form)
  3. Proof of residency (such as utility bill, lease, pay slip, voter registration card, etc.)
    • One (1) required for standard credential; two (2) required for Voluntary Travel ID

To RENEW any standard credential, applicants will only need to surrender their current license or ID to the Circuit Court Clerk’s office.

Only U.S. citizens and permanent residents are eligible to apply for a Voluntary Travel ID credential. A full list of acceptable documents is available.

 List of Acceptable Documents

Current credential holders may only request a new license (new standard or Voluntary Travel ID) if they are within six months of their cards expiration date. If your expiration date is six months or more after the October 1, 2020 federal enforcement date, you will need to apply for a $15 duplicate license. This will allow you to obtain a Voluntary Travel ID credential that maintains your current license expiration date until you are eligible to renew your credential. A duplicate credential can be requested at any time.

 Important: If your current legal name, date of birth, or gender is different than what is displayed on your identity or lawful status document, you must show legal proof of the changes (i.e. marriage license). For example, a woman may need to obtain her marriage license to validate the change from the maiden name listed on her birth certificate. If a name change is necessary, citizens should visit the Social Security office. Gathering the required documents early may save you from making repeat trips to the Circuit Court Clerk’s office in your county of residence.