Purchase an Overweight/Over-Dimensional Permit

Legal Dimensions

STAA (Surface Transportation Assistance Act) (KRS 189.222)

  • Legal overall length allows a 53 FT trailer (with any size tractor), on Interstates and Designated Highways.
  • Legal overall length for Straight Trucks 45 FT
  • Legal Width is 8 feet 6 inches.
  • Legal Height is 13 feet 6 inches on all highways​.
  • Legal gross Weight for 5 or more axles is up to 80,000 lbs.​

Non-STAA (KRS 189.221)

  • Legal overall length for truck and trailer is 65 FT.
  • Legal overall length for Straight Trucks is 26-1/2 FT.
  • Legal Width 8 FT.

Carriers with non-​divisible loads exceeding these dimensions are required to purchase an ​Overweight/Over-Dimensional permit. ​​If you have questions regarding these dimensions, please call (502) 564-1257. You may also inquire about an Industrial Haul Permit at this number or contact the Highway District in which you anticipate hauling.​​​​​

Kentucky Administrative Regulations ​

601 KAR 1:018 - Special Overweight or Over-Dimensional motor vehicle load permits
601 KAR 1:019 - Overweight or Over-Dimensional farm equipment

Weight Length and Escort Requirements

Overweight / Over-Dimensional Summary Document

This is a summary of the laws regarding motor carriers intended solely for informational use. It is not a reprint of any referenced Kentucky Revised Statute (KRS) or Kentucky Administrative Regulation (KAR) in its entirety and should not be used as such. The exact wording of Kentucky’s motor carrier laws can be viewed at www.lrc.ky.gov.

Travel Restrictions

Our Overweight / Over-Dimensional Restriction list is updated regularly. Be sure to check the restriction list​ before submitting an application for a permit.​ Sign up to receive automatic notifications when restrictions are updated. For an alternate route other than the suggested detour, please visit the NTN Network.

Visit our Overweight / Over-Dimensional Restriction List
  • Holiday Traffic

    ​There is no longer a "Holiday" travel restriction in Kentucky unless it is a Super​load or a House move.​
  • Hours of Travel

    There is no Night time travel restriction in Kentucky. Manufactured homes are excluded from this policy, and are limited to daylight hours only.​
  • County Restrictions

    Continuous travel (24-7) is permitted except the following:
    • ​​No Overweight / Over-Dimensional loads will be permitted to travel in Boone, Kenton, Campbell, Fayette, or Jefferson County on Monday through Friday between the hours of 7:00am - 9:00am or 4:00pm - 6:00pm
  • Manufactured homes

    Manufactured homes may not travel at any time on Sunday and are restricted to travel Monday through Saturday, daylight hours only.​
 Note: An Overweight or Over-Dimensional load originating in Fayette County shall be exempt from rush hour traffic restrictions on Interstate 64 and Interstate 75 in Fayette County and on connecting routes to both interstates up to a distance of three (3) miles from the interstates.


 Note: Truck Weight Classification Reports are updated weekly before start of business Monday.


No travel is allowed on the 2155/2262 bridge in Owensboro.

Mobile Homes

Mobile homes are allowed to travel during daylight hours only Monday through Saturday with no travel permitted on Sunday. Effective March 18, 2005 due to HB 309. ​​​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​​

Extended Weight Coal Haul Decal

For an Extended Weight Decal please visit KY IRP Online. ​​​​​​​​​

Frequently Asked Questions

  • Width 8’ on non-designated highways.
  • 8’6” on Interstates, Parkways and designated highways.
  • Length 65’ overall (truck, trailer & load) on non-designated highways.
  • Max 53’ trailer on Interstate, parkways and designated highways.
  • Height 13’6” (Car Haulers 14-ft and 0-in)
  • Weight 80,000 lbs AAA
  • 62,000 lbs AA
  • 44,000 lbs A
 Warning: Do not exceed licensed weight, road, or bridge weight limitations
One-third (1/3) of the trailer length rounded down to the nearest foot.
The overhang can not exceed 35’ total.
A rear escort is required any time overhang is in excess of 10’
Kentucky does not have any restrictions for holidays unless otherwise noted on the permit.
All Overweight/Overdimensional moves, except mobile homes, can travel 24 hours a day 7 days a week unless otherwise noted on the permit. Mobile homes movements are restricted to Monday through Saturday, daylight hours only and no travel permitted Sunday.
No travel permitted for any Overweight / Overdimensional loads in Boone, Kenton, Campbell, Fayette, and Jefferson counties or at Owensboro KY 2155 bridge (between KY & IN) on Monday through Friday from 7:00am – 9:00am or 4:00pm - 6:00pm.
On a 2 lane road, escorts are required as follows:
  • Over 75’ long a front is required
  • Over 85’ long a front and rear is required
  • Over 12’ wide a front and rear is required
  • Over 14' 11" high (will require a height pole)
On a 4 lane road, escorts are required as follows:
  • Over 110’ long a rear is required
  • Over 12’ wide a rear is required
  • Over 14’ wide a front and rear is required
  • Over 16’ wide 2 front and 2 rear required
  • Over 120’ long a front and 2 rear plus a pivot/steerable dolly is required
  • A rear escort is required anytime overhang is in excess of 10’

  • Over 14' 11" high (will require a height pole)
Permits will not be issued over the phone unless a driver is detained at a scale house.
Super Load is anything weighing 200,000 lbs. or above. Super Loads require a TC 95-10 application along with side view drawing of load specifications and axle spacing faxed to 502-564-0992. Application may then be sent to Bridge Analysis which could take 7 to 10 business days for processing.
Once application has been sent to Bridge Analysis and approved application cannot be cancelled.
A single trip permit is a one time trip permit showing the origin and destination requested. It is vehicle, route, and load specific.
$60 state fee (a 4% ($2.40) credit card service fee is applicable). To avoid service fees, customers have the option to establish an ACH debit account, with a TC 95-586.

A single trip permit can be applied for Online (account required), Fax, Walk-In, or a Permit Agency.

To establish an online account please complete form TC 95-586 and fax to 502-564-0992.

To apply by Fax, please complete form TC 95-10 and fax to 502-564-0992.

 Note: Must have a complete application before faxing. Applications will be processed in the order they are received. Faxed applications are limited to (4) four per year.
Always check restriction list for the most recent updates before submitting Single Trip applications. This will help ensure that your application is issued without unnecessary rejections.
No. The only exception is if the Permit Section makes an error in issuing the permit, that error can be corrected upon request.
The permit will be confiscated by enforcement and be sent back to the Permit Section, at that time it will become Null/Void. The carrier will then have to reorder a new Single Trip permit & may be subject to penalties from Enforcement.
An Annual permit is a truck specific permit that allows that truck to move continuously throughout the state without having to contact this office for approval. See NTN for approved routes.
An Annual permit can be applied for by:

 (502) 564-0992
 Note: Include a credit card number and expiration date.


 Kentucky Transportation Cabinet
Division of Motor Carriers
Attn: OW/OD Section
P.O Box 2007
Frankfort, KY 40622

Annual Application TC 95-25
Yes, any changes to truck information, weights, and/or dimensions, an Annual permit can be amended, one time only and there is a $10 charge.
To Amend an Annual permit you must mail in the Original permit with a $10 fee and in writing any changes that need to be made.
The permit will be confiscated by enforcement and be sent back to the Permit Section, at that time it will become Null/Void and the carrier will be required to obtain trip permits while being placed on suspension.

To renew an Annual permit:

 Note: Kentucky request that Annual renewals be applied for 30 days prior to the expiration date in order to effectively return the annual in ample time.
1) Download an application TC 95-25

2) Make a copy of previous permit, making any necessary changes on copy

3) Fax copy to  (502) 564-0992.


 Note: Include a credit card number and expiration date.
Annual permits are available the same day at the One Stop Shop. Please allow 12 business days for fax, mailed, or overnighted applications.
No. Due to the multiple height restrictions in Kentucky it is imperative that each over height movement be approved by State trained permitting staff.
Any time there is a question of restriction on a specific route you need to check construction restriction list to get the most recent updates. If route in question is not listed please call the OW/OD permit office at (502) 564-1257 or contact the District Engineer’s office for assistance at Highway Districts.
No, the Annual permit unlike the Single Trip permit KY Regulations state “The Original of the annual permit shall be carried in the OW/OD vehicle, or equipment at all times. An unauthorized copy of the annual shall not be valid.”
Routes need to be verified before any movement. Per KAR 601 1:018 the permit holder shall survey the route prior to movement.

Kentucky's designated routes