A​ Title is a legal document, establishing a person or business as the legal owner of a vehicle or vessel. When a vehicle or vessel is sold from one Kentucky resident or business to another in Kentucky, the title must be transferred to the new owner within 15 days.


"All-terrain vehicle (ATV)" means any motor vehicle used for recreational off-road use.


Note: ATVs must have a 17-character VIN to be titled in Kentucky. A motor number is not accepted.

Applying for Titles

$15.00 application fee.

no-liquid-paper.png Warning: Do not use liquid paper/white out on your Title. Do not scratch through or mark out any information. Do not erase or mutilate.

Applying for Title for the first time

  • Photo ID
  • Completed TC96-182 or signed-over Kentucky title. 
  • If your name on the title is different than your ID, you must provide an affidavit showing they are one and the same. A marriage license will meet this requirement.
  • Photo ID
  • Completed TC96-182 or signed-over title. If your state only issues registration or bill of sale, bring those in place of signed over title.
  • If your name on the title is different than your ID, you must provide an affidavit showing they are one in the same. A marriage license will do. 

Duplicate Kentucky Titles

To apply for a Duplicate Title you will need the following:

  • Form TC96-182 properly completed including the owner section and the vehicle identification section.
  • Title number OR license plate number
  • $6.00 (US) plus cost of a notary
  • Picture ID or driver's license
  • ATV fee is $10.00
 Note: If you have moved out of state, you and all applying for a duplicate title must contact your county clerk to provide your new, out-of-state address in addition to providing your out-of-state address on the TC96-182.

Application Types

Speed Titles

ATVs are not eligible for speed titles.

Special Titles

Foreign Titles

Go to your county clerk. For vehicles purchased or titled in a foreign country, customs papers are required, along with proof of insurance, TC96-182. If the registration document is not in English, translation papers are required from the manufacturer of the vehicle OR a certified translator can translate. For questions, call MVL.  If military, no customs papers are required.

Rebuilt Titles

Not eligible for rebuilt titles.

Bonded Titles

Kentucky does not issue Bonded Titles.


Kentucky Citizen to Kentucky Citizen

In the sale of a ATV, the seller must sign the back of the Title, signing over the vehicle, in the presence of a notary. The buyer takes the assigned Title, proof of Identification, and money for fees and applicable taxes to their local County Clerk, for transfer. Older Titles, prior to the year 2000, may require a completed TC96-182 to complete the transfer process.

Selling a Vehicle to an Out-of-State Resident

You will need to notify your county clerk with the name and state of the new owner. If you were a resident of Kentucky and owner of the vehicle January 1st you may have property taxes due on that vehicle.

Police Impound


Lien holders requiring must follow the transfer process, and present Affidavit 192, Application for Kentucky Certificate of Title or Registration (TC96-182), and security agreement, signed by the vehicle owner and lien holder.  Contact your county clerk with any questions.

Towing and Storage

In order to tow or store vehicles, the tow company must apply for the title, attempt to notify current owner via certified mail as well as running 3+ ads in the newspaper including the company and current owner's information, complete T96-182. See form TC96-159T​.

Mechanics Lien

See form TC96-159M​

Any ATV remaining in the possession of a person engaged in the business of selling, repairing or furnishing supplies for vehicles, and to whom the charges for such repairs, labor or supplies have been owed for a period of more than thirty (30) days, may have the vehicle sold to pay for the accrued charges.

Updating or Correcting Errors

All corrections go through the clerk's office.  Due to the various issues which could result in a VIN/HIN mismatch, contact your County Clerk for guidance / explanation. Updates will require a completed Application for Kentucky Certificate of Title or Registration (TC-96182 or TC-96184​) and photo ID​.

Misspelled Names

To update a misspelled name, a photo ID, along with the Title, must be presented to the county clerk in the owner's county of residence.

Updating Addresses

To update an address, a photo ID or piece of physical mail (with current postmark) must be presented, along with the Title, to the county clerk in the owner's county of residence.



To update a make/model/color/year/etc, a photo ID, along with the Title, must be presented to the county clerk in the owner's county of residence. Speak with County Clerk for special guidance.

Update/Removal of And/Or Conjunction

In order to remove a co-owner from a Title, both parties must sign the back of the existing Title when the connector is "and".  If one party is unavailable, a Power of Attorney form signed (and notarized) by the absent party is acceptable. Updates/Removals are processed by the owner's county of residence.  In order to remove a co-owner from a title with a connector of "or", one signature is required.


Failure to Receive Your Title

If you have not received your Title within 45 days of application, contact your County Clerk's office.

Surrendering your Kentucky Title on a Destroyed ATV

For requirements, see KRS.186A.295​


Contact the Kentucky Department​ of Revenue​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​