Hurricanes and Flood-Damaged Vehicles

While Kentucky has not been directly affected by hurricanes Harvey and Irma, the Department of Vehicle Regulation (DVR) is preparing for an influx of title requests for vehicles that have been deemed a total loss due to natural disaster damage in states such as Florida and Texas, then brought to Kentucky to be “rebuilt.”

Considerations to Make

  • Research before purchasing a rebuilt vehicle by obtaining a vehicle history report and having the vehicle inspected by a mechanic.
  • Be aware that it may be difficult to obtain a loan or insurance for rebuilt vehicles.
  • Understand that Motorists driving a rebuilt car or truck back to the state where it was originally given a scrap title run the risk of the vehicle being confiscated if they are stopped by law enforcement.
  • Realize that Rebuilt Vehicles cannot be sold to consumers in most other states in the U.S.

Special Titles

Rebuilt Titles

Pursuant to KRS 186A.520, KRS 186A.530, and 601 KAR 9:200, the procedure for obtaining a rebuilt title are as follows:

  • Complete TC 96-215, Affidavit of Motor Vehicle Assembled from Wrecked or Salvage Motor Vehicles.
    • Vehicle Information on this form is for the vehicle that is being rebuilt. This form must be notarized.  
  • Submit original Salvage Title. If the vehicle is from out of state and that state only has a registration requirement, the original registration form must be submitted. KYTC will NOT accept copies.
    • If the Kentucky title has been junked in Kentucky, by an individual (not an insurance company), a bill of sale and the seller section of TC96-182 must be completed and notarized.  
  • Submit a completed TC 96-182, Application for Kentucky Title/Registration. This form also needs to be notarized. KYTC will NOT accept copies.  
  • Submit all receipts for any parts purchased (Receipts must be original). 
    • If parts were purchased from an individual, not a business, the seller must state their name, complete address, and phone number.
    • List what parts were acquired/purchased and note the vehicle identification number (VIN) of the vehicle those parts were taken from.
    • If the seller can’t provide a VIN, then a notarized statement stating why the VIN can’t be provided is required.  
  • Submit an original descriptive, notarized labor statement explaining what parts were replaced and what parts were repaired.
    • This statement must be from the person who repaired the vehicle.  
  • If the vehicle has a license plate, regardless of the decal expiration date, remove it from the vehicle and submit the plate to your county clerk’s office. 
  • If the title has a lien recorded, a lien termination statement from the lienholder must be submitted to your county clerk so it can be released.  
  • For a rebuilt motorcycle, provide pencil tracings of the frame and motor numbers.
    • If a replacement motor was used, an effort should be made to obtain the frame number of the motorcycle that the replacement motor was taken from.  
  • If a vehicle is not damaged beyond 75% of its current value, a statement from the insurance company, on their letterhead, describing the damage to the vehicle must be submitted.
    • These statements are usually required for vehicles that sustained minor damage due to fire, flood, recovered from theft with minor damage, or hail damage.
    • If the vehicle is bought from a car auction, your original receipt from the auction must state the damage. We will accept this receipt instead of the insurance statement.  Applicants who supply their own parts need to provide original invoices from the businesses where the parts were purchased.
    • If the receipt shows several parts for various vehicles, the applicant must indicate the parts that were purchased for the vehicle on the rebuilt application.
    • The Rebuilt Section will return the original invoice after initialing the parts used.  
  • ​For vehicles less than 10 years old, a separate Federal Odometer Disclosure Statement must be submitted if:
    • The odometer reading is not disclosed on the TC 96-182 Application for Kentucky Title/Registration or; the odometer reading is not on a properly completed title.

For additional information, call the Rebuilt Support Section at (502) 564-1257.

Also, refer to 601 KAR 9:200.​​​​​​​​​

For a list of County Clerk offices, click here​​​