Passenger Vehicle


​​Carriers can Apply/Renew through the Motor Carrier Portal electronically for the following types of intrastate for-hire passenger Certificates. Vehicle types include:

  • ​Buses

  • Transportation Network Company (TNC)

  • Disabled Person Vehicles

  • Limousine

  • Taxi

  • Intra For Hire

  • Drive away

  • Utility Trailers

  • Household Goods​



  • Before applying for intrastate passenger authority, please ensure Vehicles are registered and plated with the County Clerk and Insurance Companies, and Background checks are completed per KRS 281

  • Insurance Companies authorized to transact business in Kentucky must file a Form E or Accord forms (Certificate of Liability Insurance) Form H for Household Goods, Form K (Insurance cancellation) Uniform Motor Carrier Bodily Injury and Property Damage Liability Certificate of Insurance through the online insurance portal. Liability coverage must be in compliance with KRS 281.655.

  • Carriers applying for passenger certificates will be required to upload Form E insurance, Vehicle registrations, and Tariffs for HHG on their secure motor portal account during the application process.

  • You must have at least one vehicle available before Motor Carriers will grant a certificate. All passenger vehicles require a county clerk-issued plate.​

  • Complete all vehicle inspections by an automotive service technician and all nationwide criminal background checks before submitting the application.

  • For an approved listing of criminal background check companies Click Here.​​​​​

​**Consumer Complaint:

Please allow up to 14 business days for the processing of all applications.