New To Kentucky

​​​​​​​​​As a new Kentucky resident, you must obtain a valid Kentucky driver's license within 30 days of establishing residency to drive on Kentucky roads. In addition, you must obtain insurance from an insurance agent that is licensed to sell insurance in Kentucky to title and register your vehicle(s), vessel(s), and mobile home(s) within ten days of establishing residency.


  • ​​​​If your out-of-state license is valid when​ you transfer to Kentucky, you will not be required to test. However, if the license has expired for more than one (1) year at the time of transfer, you will be required to obtain a full, certified DHR or clearance letter from the previous state. You must also take the written and vision eye exams before being issued a KY operator's permit or license. 

  • If you have lost your out-of-state license, but the license has not expired for more than one (1) year, you will need to obtain a DHR or Clearance letter from the previous state.​

  • ​To convert your out-of-state driver's license to a Kentucky Driver's license, you must visit a KYTC Driver Licensing Regional office.

​You will need to bring the following valid proof documents:

  • Legal presence in the United States (E.g., birth certificate, U.S. passport)

  • Social Security card (must bring your social security card as proof)​

  • Proof of residency document dated less than one year ​(2 proofs are required for a REAL ID issuance).

  • Valid out-of-state license​

  • Proof of ANY name change, gender change, or any additional documents, if applicable.

​​For a list of acceptable documents, click here​​.​​​

Under Age 18​

  • You must be at least 16 years of age to transfer your driving permit or license to Kentucky. Any driving before the age of 16 will not be counted in Kentucky.

  • Out-of-State permit holders transferring to Kentucky must transfer their permit and be issued a Kentucky permit before applying for a Kentucky Driver's License. The permit/license drivers must bring their OOS test scores with them. Otherwise, they will be required to take the Kentucky road test.

  • A School Compliance Verification Form signed by the out-of-state school (reference: No Pass/No Drive Law) is required. This form can be obtained from the student's school district of residence.​

For more information on this process, visit our Graduated Driver License Program page

Non-US Citizen

  • All non-U.S. citizens transferring from a foreign country and applying for a first-time Kentucky permit/license must take the written, vision, and road tests. Drivers holding a valid license from a foreign reciprocity country will not be required to hold a permit.

  • Non-U.S. citizens transferring from another U.S. State with a valid license or already licensed in Kentucky are not required to retest.​​​

  • ​For more information, click here.​​

College Student

A college student may drive on their valid out-of-state license and is not required to transfer that license to Kentucky if:

  • ​They are a citizen of the United States;

  • They are enrolled as a full-time or part-time student at a university, college, or technical college located in Kentucky and

  • They must have a student identification card from the university, college, or technical college located in Kentucky in their immediate possession when driving in Kentucky.

Kentucky Credential Pricing

Pricing of Kentucky Credentials


​Before registering your vehicle and obtaining license plates in Kentucky, you must convert your out-of-state vehicle title to a Kentucky title.

Out-of-State Vehicles:

  • Proof of Kentucky Insurance (issue date within 45 days)

  • Kentucky ​Photo ID

  • Completed (TC96-182) and signed over title. If your state only issues a registration or bill of sale, bring those in place of the signed-over title. (signatures must be notarized)

  • If the name listed on your title is different than the name listed on your ID, you must provide an affidavit showing they are the same. A marriage license or divorce decree are good examples.  

  • Vehicles brought into Kentucky from another state require a Sheriff's Inspection.


Please visit the Office of the County Clerk in your county of residence to register a vehicle in Kentucky.

You will need to bring the following  with you :

  • Kentucky Photo ID

  • ​Current original (not a copy) proof of Kentucky insurance effective date within 45 days​

  • Money for fees and applicable taxes (check with your County Clerk's office for accepted forms of payment)

  • Vehicles brought into Kentucky from another state require a Sheriff's Inspection.​

Out-of-State insurance is acceptable if the customer is Active Duty Military (that individual must be listed on the vehicle title). Active Duty Military acceptable proof includes ​Active Military ID, a letter from the Provost Marshal, and an ​LES (pay stub).​


​A person who brings a motor vehicle into the Commonwealth of Kentucky shall apply for registration within fifteen (15) days in the county where the person resides.​

​An owner may not operate a vehicle in Kentucky until insurance has been obtained. According to the statute, an owner who fails to maintain insurance on his vehicle shall have his vehicle registration revoked.

​All owners of motor vehicles in Kentucky must carry minimum liability coverage. This means liability coverage of​
  • ​$25,000 for injury/ damages for one person

  • ​$50,000 for injury/ damages for all persons involved in an accident

  • $25,000 for property damages​

  • or a $60,000 single-limit policy​​

For more information on Kentucky insurance, click here.