Solid Waste

​Per KRS 224.01-010  Municipal solid waste is defined as “household solid waste and commercial solid waste”. “Household solid waste means solid waste, including garbage and trash generated by a single and multiple family residences, hotels, motels, bunkhouses, ranger stations, crew quarters, and recreational areas such as picnic areas, park, and camp​grounds, but it does not include tire-derived fuel”. Furthermore, “Commercial solid waste’ means all types of solid waste generated by stores, offices, restaurants, warehouses, and other service and non-manufacturing activities, excluding tire-derived fuel and household and industrial solid waste”.


​Before applying for a license to operate municipal solid waste, please read the instructions and application.

  • Municipal Solid Waste license holders must obtain liability insurance on each vehicle in which Municipal Solid Waste will be transported. Liability coverage must comply with KRS 281.655

  • ​The application that follows is for municipal solid waste transporters only. For other types of solid waste permits, please contact the EEC Division of Waste Management at (502) 564-6716

Apply for a Municipal Solid Waste License

Additional Solid Waste Documents (only used once a license has been issued)​

​ Please allow 5 – 10 business days for the processing of all applications.​