​​Household Goods Certificate

  • Before applying for intrastate household goods authority please read instructions and applications. 
  • An insurance carrier authorized to transact business in Kentucky must file a Form E, Uniform Motor Carrier Bodily Injury and Property Damage Liability Certificate of Insurance and Form H, Uniform Motor Carrier Cargo Certificate of Insurance with Motor Carriers prior to submitting an application.  Liability coverage must be in compliance with KRS 281.655
  • A proposed tariff listing charges for various services must be submitted. 
  • Complete all nationwide criminal background checks prior to submitting the application.
  • For an approved listing of criminal background check companies Click Here
  • HHG Carriers Listing. Click Here

    There are no items to show in this view of the "Tariff Filings" list.

Apply for Kentucky Intrastate Household Goods Authority
  • Complete the following TC 95-629 Household Goods Authority Application for new authority or additional vehicles from the Forms Library Online.
  • Additional Household Goods Functions (only used once the HHG certificate has been issued):
  • To file an annual report, complete the TC 95-44 Household Goods Annual Report Form .
  • To update your company information, use the TC 95-609 Passenger & Household Goods Change of Company Address.

Moving Within Kentucky
  • If you are moving household goods from your home to another location within Kentucky, your mover must be licensed by the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet, Department of Vehicle Regulation, Division of Motor Carriers (KYTC). 
    The KYTC helps you by setting certain licensing and insurance requirements which movers must meet and by investigating complaints when problems arise.
  • If your intent is to move your household goods from one state to another, the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) has jurisdiction over the mover; not the KYTC.
  • You can contact the FMCSA with any questions at 888-368-7238.
  • No matter where you are moving or whether the move is large or small, you should take the time to carefully plan your relocation.
    The information on this page will help you begin the process of moving within Kentucky.

Checklist For Easier Moving
  • Be sure the mover has a KY “DMT (sometimes referred to as DVR) license number”.
  • Request and obtain a written estimate.
  • Check with KYTC for additional information concerning rates, liability coverage and complaint history of the mover.
  • Make sure to be present during your move.
  • Review the written bill of lading (front & back) carefully before signing.
  • Agree to the method and terms of payment before moving day.
  • During unloading, check your household goods carefully before signing off on their condition. Be sure the bill of lading gives you the right to take a reasonable amount of time to check items for damages.
  • Ask the mover to check the van to ensure that all your household goods have been delivered.

Consumer Complaint
  • Have a complaint on a household goods carrier, please complete the TC 95-622 Consumer Complaint Document.

Frequently Asked Questions

Moving companies must file their rates with the KYTC and may not charge more or less than the rates on file.
You can request a copy of the mover’s rates on file with the KYTC. Also inquire as to how the rates will be applied to the specific circumstances of your move. Ask if there are any other charges and how or why the final cost might differ from the estimate.
That depends. Frequently, the customer packs all the household items in cartons and the mover takes care of protecting the furniture. When packing, use enough filler to reduce the chance of breakage. If you pack the cartons carefully and there is damage, the adjustor will consider the packing method as a determining factor in liability.
If you wish to have the mover pack all your household items, the mover will be more expensive but will be professionally completed. However, the mover may bear additional liability by providing this service.
Yes. The bill of lading is the contract between you and your mover. The mover is required by law to prepare a bill of lading for every shipment it transports. The information on a bill of lading is required to be the same information shown on the order for service. The driver who loads your shipment must give you a copy of the bill of lading before loading your furniture.
Be sure the bill of lading includes the movers’ name, address, license number, and telephone number where you can reach them. It should also indicate an address and telephone number, provided by you, where the mover can communicate information regarding your shipment. The bill of lading should also include the loading and delivery dates, storage instructions, if any, and the declared or excess valuation of your shipment (refer to Placing a Value on your Household Possessions). You are required to sign the bill of lading.
It is your responsibility to read the bill of lading (front & back) before you sign it. If you do not agree with something on the bill of lading, do not sign it until you are satisfied that it indicates the service you have ordered.

The bill of lading requires the mover to provide the services you have requested and that you must pay the mover the charges for these services.

The bill of lading is an important document. Do not lose or misplace your copy. You should have it available until your shipment is delivered, all charges are paid and all claims, if any, are settled. Do not underestimate the importance of the bill of lading.
Actually, rather than schedule a back up day, it is best to reconfirm with the mover 48 hours in advance of your moving date.
Discuss the method of payment before you move. Some companies request cash, some will accept a credit card or personal check and others will only take a certified check. Payment depends on the terms of the bill of lading or your oral agreement. Be sure to review the bill of lading carefully.
Many public movers offer to you, as the customer, a base rate called a declared rate, which is on file with the KYTC. The base rate limits the mover’s responsibility for your goods to $.60 per pound per article and is not to be construed as insurance. This means that if any article is damaged or lost, you are entitled to be reimbursed for the actual damage or loss not to exceed $.60 times the actual weight of the article (Example: 50 pound article-movers maximum liability is $30.00[$.60 x 50 pounds]).
The terms of the bill of lading may set specific limits. Read the bill of lading carefully before you sign it. If you have a damage claim, save the damaged items so the mover or adjuster will be able to make a proper judgment. It is in your best interest to report a claim promptly to the mover or adjuster and confirm it in writing.
Your first step should be to contact the mover in writing and explain the problem in detail. Often, you will be able to resolve matters at this level with little difficulty. If you cannot resolve your issues with the mover, you should contact the KYTC. The Cabinet’s Division of Motor Carriers is obligated to investigate written complaints.
A personal recommendation is the best way to start. Whether you use a company recommended by friends or choose a company through its advertising, be sure that any company you contact has an up-to-date KYTC operating certificate number.
This is important because, in order to obtain authority to operate in Kentucky, moving companies must be licensed by the KYTC. They are subject to State laws and the Cabinets rules and regulations, designed to protect the consumer. For example, movers licensed by the KYTC are required to carry a minimum amount of cargo insurance. However, your ability to recover for loss or damage is dependent upon your agreement with the mover. All movers are also required to file a Tariff containing the rates charged for various moving services. The Tariff is filed with the KYTC’s Division of Motor Carriers and is available to the public.
A written estimate where a company representative comes to your home is one of your best safeguards against overcharges and other potential issues. Verbal estimates over the phone or email are not very good estimates.
To obtain a reasonably accurate estimate, you must show the estimator everything you intend to ship. An estimate is not a bid or a contract and choosing the mover submitting the lowest estimate will not assure you of the lowest cost move. Regardless of any estimate provided, the final amount you must pay for your move is determined by the hourly rate or actual weight of your household goods, the amount of packing completed and any other additional services performed by the mover. This information is contained in the carrier’s tariff.

Be sure to ask about all additional costs when you are given an estimate for your move. For example, moves based on hourly rates will be assessed a travel time charge in addition to the actual time it takes to complete your move. Travel time charges are calculated on the distance between the original point of loading and final point of unloading. Mileage is determined in accordance with approved mileage guides or vehicle odometer readings. For moves based on the weight of the shipment, the mover will not charge additionally for travel time.