What is Kentucky Weight Distance (KYU)?
is a tax license issued for all carriers traveling on Kentucky roadways with a combined license weight greater than 59,999 pounds. The tax rate is $0.0285 cents
You are also able to purchase a one-time temporary KYU Permit
per truck in the event you are not making regular trips through the state of Kentucky.
Farm plated vehicles are exempt from paying the KYU
Apply for Kentucky Weight Distance (KYU) License
You will need to set up a Kentucky Online Gateway account
before you can apply for a KYU
number. If you have issues registering your account, refer to the Kentucky Online Gateway FAQs
- KYU Numbers are issued immediately upon completion of the ONLINE KYU Application
- For assistance, view our KYU Registration Guide
- If you are having technical issues processing an Online Application, you can print and mail in a completed Kentucky Trucking Application Form.
The paper application can take 10-14 business days to process, and you will only receive a KYU
number after processing. Incomplete applications will be returned.
Kentucky Weight Distance (KYU) Electronic Filing
- You can process your KYU tax return online, allowing you to print a copy for your records.
- You must have a registered KYU account to file taxes electronically.
- Payments can be made electronically with credit card or check.
If carriers need to amend taxes for KYU
they will need to contact the Division of Motor Carriers to do so.