Who needs an extended weight coal haul decal?
- Haul coal or coal by-products in Kentucky.
- The vehicle must be registered to 80,000 pounds.
- The vehicle must have either a Kentucky commercial plate or an IRP plate.
- Vehicles plated in any other state must submit a copy of the current vehicle registration (cab card) with the application.
How do I add, update and renew my extended weight coal haul permits/decals?
You will need to set up a Kentucky Online Gateway account
before you can apply for EWD
permits/decals. If you have issues registering your account, refer to the Kentucky Online Gateway FAQs
- Click the button below to access the Motor Carrier Portal, left click "What Can I Do?" after signing in, then left-click EWD - Extended Weight Permits/Decals.
- If you are having issues or need assistance with the new system please see the EWD User Guide.
Important: If the USDOT number your Extended Weight Permits/Decals are registered to is already active in Motor Carrier Portal you can log in with those credentials.
Coal Haul Reports & Extended Weight Highway System
Reports, maps, forms, and other information on the Coal Haul Highway System are available on the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet's website.