Safety Survey

Calling all comercial motor vehicle operators. Share your concerns and help to identify specific difficulties encountered by drivers by taking a short survey below.

Take The Survey

IFTA and IRP System Update

The IFTA and IRP Systems will be down for maintenance on Saturday July 24th, and should be back online for use on Sunday July 25th. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Emergency Order Regarding Suspension of Registration Requirements, and Exemption of Hours of Service and Stoppage at Weigh Stations

A Declaration of Emergency has been issued by Transportation Cabinet Secretary Jim Gray. A state of emergency exists in Florida and potentially other states in the surrounding areas due to Tropical Storm Elsa, requiring relief from the hours of service imposed on commercial vehicles providing power restoration within the affected areas.

See the Order

Who needs an extended weight coal haul decal?

  • Haul coal or coal by-products in Kentucky.
  • The vehicle must be registered to 80,000 pounds.
  • The vehicle must have either a Kentucky commercial plate or an IRP plate.
  • Vehicles plated in any other state must submit a copy of the current vehicle registration (cab card) with the application.

How do I add, update and renew my extended weight coal haul permits/decals?

You will need to set up a Kentucky Online Gateway account before you can apply for EWD permits/decals. If you have issues registering your account, refer to the Kentucky Online Gateway FAQs.
  • Click the button below to access the Motor Carrier Portal, left click "What Can I Do?" after signing in, then left-click EWD - Extended Weight Permits/Decals.

  • If you are having issues or need assistance with the new system please see the EWD User Guide.

 Important: If the USDOT number your Extended Weight Permits/Decals are registered to is already active in Motor Carrier Portal you can log in with those credentials.

Coal Haul Reports & Extended Weight Highway System

Reports, maps, forms, and other information on the Coal Haul Highway System are available on the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet's website.​​​​​​​​​