Rebuilt-Salvaged Titles


Under KRS 186A.520, KRS 186A.530, and 601 KAR 9:200​, the procedure for obtaining a rebuilt title is as follows:
  • ​​Complete TC 96-215, Affidavit of Motor Vehicle Assembled from Wrecked or Salvaged Motor Vehicles.

    • Vehicle Information on this form is for the vehicle that is being rebuilt. This form must be notarized.

  • Submit original Salvage Title. If the vehicle is from out of state and that state only has a registra​tion requirement, the original registration form must be submitted. KYTC will NOT accept copies.​

  • Submit a completed TC 96-182, Application for Kentucky Title/Registration. This form also needs to be notarized. KYTC will NOT accept copies. 

  • ​​​Submit all receipts for any parts purchased (Receipts must be original). 

    • ​​​If parts were purchased from an individual, not a business, the seller must state their name, complete address, and phone number.

    • List what parts were acquired/purchased and note the vehicle identification number (VIN) of the vehicle those parts were taken.

    • If the seller can't provide a VIN, then a notarized statement stating why the VIN can't be provided is required.

    • Submit TC 96-353 form stating what repairs were made to the vehicle per KRS 186A.520. 

  • ​​If the vehicle has a license plate, remove it from the vehicle regardless of the decal expiration date and submit the plate to your County Clerk's office

  • ​​​If the title has a lien recorded, a lien termination statement from the lienholder must be submitted to your County Clerk so it can be released.  

  • ​For a rebuilt motorcycle, provide pencil tracings of the frame and motor numbers.

    • If a replacement motor was used, an effort should be made to obtain the frame number of the motorcycle that the replacement motor was taken.  

  • ​​​If a vehicle is not damaged beyond 75% of its current value, a statement from the insurance company on their letterhead describing the vehicle's damage must be submitted.

    • ​These statements are usually required for vehicles that sustained minor damage due to fire, flood, recovered from theft with minor damage, or hail damage.

    • If the vehicle is bought from a car auction, your original receipt must state the damage. We will accept this receipt instead of the insurance statement. Applicants who supply their own parts need to provide original invoices from the businesses where the parts were purchased.

    • If the receipt shows several parts for various vehicles, the applicant must indicate the parts purchased for the vehicle on the rebuilt application.

    • The Rebuilt Section will return the original invoice after initialing the parts used.  

  • ​​​For vehicles less than 10 years old, a separate Federal Odometer Disclosure Statement must be submitted if:

    • ​The odometer reading is not disclosed on the TC 96-182 Application for Kentucky Title/Registration, or; the odometer reading is not on a properly completed title.

​For additional information, call the Rebuilt Support Section at (502) 564-1257.​​