Important: To obtain registration, your vehicle must first be titled in Kentucky.
Renewing Your Registration In Person
Please visit the Office of the County Clerk in your county of residence to renew your vehicle registration in person. When renewing your registration, Make sure to bring:
- Photo ID
- Kentucky certificate of registration
- Current original (not a copy) proof of Kentucky insurance effective date within 45 days
- Money for fees and applicable taxes (check with your County Clerk's office for accepted forms of payment)
Out-of-State insurance is acceptable if the customer is Active Duty Military (that individual must be listed on the vehicle title
). Active Duty Military acceptable proof includes: Active Military ID
, a letter from the Provost Marshal, LES
Note: The 45-day issue date requirement does not apply to: Military, Commercial, or Self-Insured policy types.
Renewing Your Registration Online
Is Online Renewal Right for You?
- A list of eligible plates is available online.
- Vehicles registered in separate counties to the current owner must be renewed separately.
- Leased vehicles cannot be renewed online.
- The vehicle(s) renewed must have unexpired registration(s).
- The owner of the vehicle(s) cannot have overdue property taxes on any other vehicles they own.
- The vehicle(s) must be insured for at least 45 days with the same insurance company for database verification.
- If any of the above does not apply, you will need to visit the County Clerk's office in your county of residence.
Note: The Service Members Civil Relief Act exempts certain military personnel from paying personal vehicle Ad Valorem tax. To find out if you qualify for the exemption, please get in touch with the Property Valuation Administrator’s (PVA) office in your county of residence.
Your new registration will be mailed to the address on file with your local County Clerk. If you no longer live at the address on your previous year's registration receipt, contact your local County Clerk and have it updated before you register online. If your information appearing on any screen is incorrect, click Cancel
and contact your local County Clerk
What Do I Need to Renew Online?
Warning: Be aware of third-party websites that offer vehicle registration renewal services. Renewing your registration through one of these services will result in a loss of money, and your registration will not be renewed. Instead, use the trusted site - our site. We charge minimal fees, and you can rest assured your registration renewal is being handled by us directly.
The following items are required to begin online registration renewal:
- Title Number
- Plate Number
- Debit/Credit Card
Online KENTUCKY Vehicle Registration Renewal Portal
Processing, Fees, & Payment Methods
- Please allow 5-7 working days for online renewals to be processed.
- The non-refundable online renewal service fee is a percentage of the transaction total and is assessed to develop and maintain the Online Kentucky Vehicle Registration Renewal Portal.
- A $2.00 fee per vehicle will be added to cover mailing costs.
- Payment methods include American Express, Discover, MasterCard, or VISA.